What is the name of the drill bit I need?

Answer this question

  • What is the name of the drill bit I need?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 03:16
That is called counterboring. To be honest, at that size you would be better off doing it on a lathe.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 04:01
In metal working it is called a "Bottoming Bit" and it is completely flat (90 deg) at the bottom.
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 03:24
You need what is known as a Forstner bit, of the right size of course. You may have to hunt around a bit to find one as the average DIY guy is ignorant of these tools so some of the big hardware chains do not hold them in store.
Answer #4 | 19/12 2013 03:17
In wood, I'd use a Forstner bit. I'm sure there's an equivalent in metal working. Would look something like a milling machine bit, I would think.
Answer #5 | 19/12 2013 05:10
drill the inner hold, then the bigger hole you switch to a spade bit
Answer #6 | 19/12 2013 05:29
A metal hole saw.
Answer #7 | 19/12 2013 13:22
no doubt id use a lathe set up with a boring bar.
Answer #8 | 19/12 2013 12:21
To have flat surface ,you need to use flat head bit or end mill .The price for flat head or end mill at that size it very high .As far as Aluminum is soft, drill close to dimensions and then finish with lath bench inner cutting tool.
Answer #9 | 19/12 2013 07:53
"Trepanning" is sometimes used on large holes. Read the entire article for some tips and leads.

Possible answer