Voting Question: Step parent adoption.?

Answer this question

  • Voting Question: Step parent adoption.?


Answer #1 | 15/01 2014 10:03
Until you have the child legally adopted, then you can't change names, etc. But the bio fahter needs to sign off on all custody before any adoption can take place. Contact a lawyer to find out what you need to do.
Positive: 57.142857142857 %
Answer #2 | 14/01 2014 10:24
Although i understand why you want to do this you need the fathers consent to adoption. Which means tracking him down and court visits and plenty of stress, you can change your childs name though so maybe consider changing her surname to your husbands name along with your newest child. Why cant he just be a great step parent? without making it legal, she doesnt need a piece f paper to be a part of the family so just be good parents and avoid a court case
Positive: 41.666666666667 %
Answer #3 | 14/01 2014 11:36
In the states, if you don't know where the father is, an attorney can use legal avenues, such as publishing a notice in a paper, or various publications, for a period of time. if there is no response, then his rights could be involuntarily terminated. If the legal (or "presumptive father" has not been in your child's life (again, in the States) for a period of time, and has not made any attempt to contact or support the child, again, a case can be made for involuntary termination on the basis of abandonment. In fact, that's a good place to start. Google "involuntary termination of parental rights" in your province and, of course, hire an attorney to get the process started, and once the biological father's rights have been terminated, then your husband can adopt!
Positive: 37.5 %

Possible answer