Voting Question: First time doing taxes? How should I do it?

Answer this question

  • Voting Question: First time doing taxes? How should I do it?


Answer #1 | 02/01 2014 11:59
If you use a preparer, they won't be doing it for free. You can do it on Turbo Tax or the IRS website for free.
Positive: 100 %
Answer #2 | 02/01 2014 12:15
Why do you need a preparer to file your taxes? It's not rocket science. I've been filing my own taxes via Turbo Tax since I was 19 and it's free. No preparer is going to file your taxes for free.
Answer #3 | 02/01 2014 12:01
You will have to look at what help is available near you. The site is a good place to start, but it won't have all the new info until February. There are usually some places set up to help low income people file their taxes for free and they could help you since they know what questions to ask and what form you should file to get the most out of tax credits and deductions. Many of them are run by state governments so it would depend on what state you live in. You will probably want to file to see if you can get a tax refund.
Answer #4 | 03/01 2014 09:26
yes, you can free efile and you don't need to go to any preparer to do so you can go to and find the free eflile, follow the instructions as indicated and when you finish make sure you print a copy of you return for your records a 1040EZ should be adequate, of the $8K, $1900 will be taxable and you should have some refunded to you the entire $750 is probably NOT income tax, the other taxes are not refundable
Answer #5 | 03/01 2014 17:33
You may be eligible to be claimed as a dependent of your parent(s). This changes the exemption amount for you. You can still do a 1040EZ, and you can do it at You will probably have to pay about $190 in taxes, and that amount will be deducted from the $750, giving you a refund of $560. The return is what you file. The refund is what you get back.
Answer #6 | 04/01 2014 08:13
You can't use a "preparer" for a "free" return. You can do it for free, or you can use a preparer. You can't do both. If you want it done for free, then you do it yourself, without using a preparer. If you use a preparer, then you have to pay, because a "preparer" is a person who charges you money for doing it, and doesn't do it for free. My preference is for no preparer, because that is the only way to do it for free, and you really don't need a preparer for a 1040EZ return anyway. Yes, you qualify. Everyone qualifies.
Answer #7 | 03/01 2014 21:27
Go to this website and read the booklet there. Look on page 26 in section 6 and it will give you a website where you can file for free. When you get your W2 at the end of January you can follow the instructions and fill out your own tax form. If you file online be sure to print out a copy of the return for your own records. It costs to get a copy from the gvmt.

Possible answer