Voting Question: Can she still take the taxes out from under us?

Answer this question

  • Voting Question: Can she still take the taxes out from under us?


Answer #1 | 16/12 2013 16:25
There is no way to prevent her from filing and trying to claim them. If she files before you, that doesn't mean you can't claim them, it just means you can't efile. You would PRINT the return, sign it and send it in. The IRS will override the duplicate and enter the return into the system and automatically start an investigation in to the competing claims. The same is true if you file first and she files second. Keep all records showing that the children are your sister's children (you need the birth certificates) and that they lived with you for more than half of 2013.
Answer #2 | 16/12 2013 17:44
Any thing can be and is possible at this time in your life. Your efiled 1040 income tax return and it has not been ACCEPTED by the IRS as you did fill it out and filed it online to the IRS for processing during the 2014 tax filing season RIGHT. Who was the custodial parent during the 2013 tax year that the child did live in that parents home that the custodial parent maintained for 183 nights during the 2013 tax year for the custodial parent and the child to live in for the MAJORITY of the nights in the tax year 2013 for this purpose. BUT when 2 taxpayers do this then the IRS will end up making and notifying each taxpayer of what their final decision will be about who will be allowed to be able to meet all of the rules that they did have to meet in order to qualify to claim the child for that tax year. The return that would get REJECTED during the 2014 tax filing season would then have to mail a paper copy of the REJECTED return to the CORRECT IRS address for processing during the tax filing season for the IRS to get involved in this matter at that time and start the investigation of both taxpayers for this purpose and time in life. Only one custodial parent for the 2013 tax year 183 nights in your home that you have maintained for this purpose and time in your life with good written records that would be needed for this purpose when and IF the IRS would want the information that was entered on your 1040 income tax return during the 2014 tax filing season to be verified by you at that time in your life. use the search box for Publication 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information Custody of child, Custodial parent and noncustodial parent. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/16/2013
Answer #3 | 16/12 2013 19:09
she has no eligibility to claim the children from what you say this is not to say that she won't try you need to firmly tell her that she is not eligible and if she tries she could find herself in big trouble with IRS(if that even mattered to her)
Answer #4 | 17/12 2013 16:26
legally she can't claim the kids if she never had them, but that doesn't mean she won't try. she can try and file before you. if both of you claim the kids, it could cause either one of your returns to be rejected. if you get your return in first, hers will be rejected if she tries to claim them.

Possible answer