the fretboard on my guitar is a little faulty. Can i replace it?

Answer this question

  • the fretboard on my guitar is a little faulty. Can i replace it?


Answer #1 | 20/12 2013 03:52
Invest in a new guitar
Answer #2 | 20/12 2013 11:54
Extremely unlikely that this can't be fixed by a qualified guitar tech - no need to look for a new guitar or neck just yet. Since it's the E-string, it is likely that the end of 17th fret has lifted, giving you this problem you're describing. It can also be that you have some worn or uneven frets. In either case, it's most of the times a matter of gluing a loose fret back down (if it's loose). Worst case is that you'll need to have the frets filed and re-crowned in case of worn or uneven frets. The final steps is to make sure the neck has the proper neck relief and that the action (string height) is good. If your guitar is new or not too old, I doubt that you need o have a lot of work done to the frets. Usually it's a quick and simple adjustment . not very expensive. Just make sure there is someone with experience doing the work! And as Sam says, it can actually be that you have a neck with too much relief (an up bow) and too low action, and that a simple set up will fix things for you.
Answer #3 | 20/12 2013 05:06
You can take it to a guitar store that does repairs; they can fix individual frets very easily. I had the same problem once on my acoustic guitar and took it in to where I bought it. They found that the problem was the wood in the guitar was too dry (it was winter in Canada and electric heating really dehumidifies the air) causing warping in the neck which caused the high E string to emit the same note no matter where I played. They fixed it and suggested a guitar dehumifier (10$) and it never happened again.. Anyway, if you take it in they'll be able to fix it for you and maybe give you some tips on how to avoid that in the future.

Possible answer