Step-Father Seriously Injured in Car Accident?

Answer this question

  • Step-Father Seriously Injured in Car Accident?


Answer #1 | 22/12 2013 22:10
Go talk to a lawyer.
Answer #2 | 23/12 2013 00:46
lawyer Do some research also your step father is a victim of crime the state or county could also pay the bills?What state are you in ? I have a brother who is a big time attorney in California maybe he could find you a good reference no matter what state your in?
Answer #3 | 22/12 2013 22:17
The other drivers insurance will cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other punitive and out of pocket costs related to the accident. However, their insurance will only cover up to the limit of their policy. For example, if the other driver had a policy that (and I'm talking about the medical portion only) that covered up to $50,000 in medical damages etc etc, any damages over that amount would have to be settled in court. I do advise that your family retain a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible as it is highly likely that you have already exceeded the limits of the other drivers policy. Since the other driver was intoxicated it is fairly open and shut, your family will still have to go to court. You will also need to check on the specifics of your fathers auto policy as many cover the cost of litigation (lawyers) so you do not have to pay out of pocket, or the insurance companies lawyers will litigate for you.
Answer #4 | 22/12 2013 22:11
I'd say contact a lawyer, just in case. Insurance might handle damages to the car, but the care that your father might need when he is discharged form hospital might cause more bills to pile up.
Answer #5 | 23/12 2013 01:25
contact to the law firm
Answer #6 | 23/12 2013 05:38
The drunk's insurance should still cover 3rd party damages.
Answer #7 | 23/12 2013 11:26
File a workman's compensation claim, it will be denied, but it will put all the investigative power of the state to the task of collecting the facts. It's going to take awhile to get the insurance company payments. Don't pay any money out, keep track in a diary, and a folder of all information you can collect. Don't talk to anyone over the phone, just refer them to your insurance company. Cooperate with your insurance company fully, if you are not satisfied with their performance, contact a lawyer to see what can be done to force your insurance company to perform. Don't spend your Step-Father's money before he even gets it.
Answer #8 | 23/12 2013 07:20
your best off speaking to a lawyer just to see where you stand I would of thought your insurance or the other guys insurance would take care of any bills if the drunk guy has money then its worth suing him if it comes to that but if he has nothing then its pointless hope your step father gets better soon
Answer #9 | 23/12 2013 06:32
I am going to be one of the few to suggest that you do not hire a lawyer and will give you reasons why. Other driver drunk, driving in the wrong lane and your step fathers serious injury, will be as they say a slam dunk, and no dispute with the drunk drivers insurance company, and they will pay, and settle this asap. If you hire a lawyer, there is a good chance, your step father will not get enough in this accident, since the lawyer will take 33% of the settlement. In any injury settlement, they owe to REIMBURSE for medical bills, lost wages and pain/suffering. When you say your step father is in critical condition "implies" he is still in the hospital, so the hospital bill by itself, could run over $50,000 to $100,000 easily. My husband was in the hospital for 2 weeks, had surgery and I just got a bill from the hospital for $58,000, which did not include all the other doctors bills, which are more. Most auto insurance has either medical payments and/or PIP, that pays for medical bills, but, it is possible there is not enough on step fathers policy to pay for all of it. Does he have any health insurance that is covering this? When he settles, the med pay and/or pip, plus any health insurance that has paid his medical bills, will have to be reimbursed back, in other words, subtracts out from his settlement. So the question is, how much insurance does the drunk driver have? It could be possible that there is not enough to pay back just the medical bills, so, there would be no lost wages, or pain/suffering. Or, hopefully, step father has Under insured bodily injury on his own policy, that would take over if not enough on drunks policy. You want to hire a lawyer when the other company disputes fault, or the injuries, and that wont happen in this case. Your step father deserves every penny he gets. Your parents need to talk to THEIR adjuster who should know how much coverage the drunk has, and if they have under insured bodily injury. If he has, most likely they have already set up a claim due to the severity of his injury. The adjusters job is to advise their policyholder. So, having a lawyer, could cost him 33% less and the end result will be the same.
Answer #10 | 23/12 2013 06:21
First..... DO NOT run out and hire a lawyer yet as many people here have advised. That would be extremely foolish, unnecessary and expensive at this point. I would consult with my own insurance company and possibly use my collision insurance for this. Doing so, puts the onus on my company and takes it off of me. My company has experts and lawyers who know exactly what to do and will do that for free and do it professionally and competently. I am just a novice. I bought insurance for protection and using my insurance will protect me. My insurance company and their lawyers will "go after": the drunk and his insurance company (if he was insured) . If lawyers are needed, they will provide them to me free of charge. If Your Step Father did not have collision and/or medical coverage, then he may want to consult with a lawyer While I would not normally consider hiring a lawyer, this may be the one exception. Good luck ALWAYS Consult with and use your own insurance company...............ALWAYS !

Possible answer