Medicaid coverage out of state?

Answer this question

  • Medicaid coverage out of state?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 16:02
No, it won't. Welfare only covers out of state with a life threatening emergency, and unless you could prove to the NM welfare office that your daughter's life in currently in danger they won't pay. Take her to an urgent care clinic. Much less expensive.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 16:20
No. You cant use Medicaid in another state. If this is an emergency they should cover it, but if the hospital decides it is not an emergency you will get a bill which you wont pay and the government will pay some of it and your credit will be affected. Take her to a walk-in clinic for urgent care at any number of hospitals and pay a fee. Medicaid does not work out of state. You go to a clinic and tell them you have little income.
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 16:24
If the bill is big enough they will learn the paperwork to bill your state. If someone before you had a big bill, they learned how to do the paperwork for them, now yours will be easy. A relative of mine does Medicaid billing in one state, and bills to 17 different states, routinely. It is not the threat to life, it is the bottom line. They are not going to spend 10 hours learning the forms for a $500 bill - you may be stuck with it on your credit report. Emergency rooms can't refuse treatment. They will treat you. If you are not willing to spend your own money, it might not be important enough to have the taxpayers pay it.
Answer #4 | 19/12 2013 18:23
Medicaid is state based welfare - not really insurance. Unless there is a LIFE threatening emergency - threat of NEAR DEATH, and SOON, there's no way that Medicaid is going to cover anything out of state. You'll be paying for that ER visit out of pocket - so maybe you'll want to go a cheaper route, like an urgent care center, or even a regular doctor's office. However it is that you can afford to travel out of state, that's the same way to pay for your medical care out of state. Or, drive back home tonight, and go see your NM medicaid doctor tomorrow.
Answer #5 | 19/12 2013 19:23
Medicaid does not cover things out of state. More importantly, what she has is not something for which someone should go to an ER, even if insurance is covering it. You should take her to a doctor's regular office, or to an urgent care facility, or frankly anywhere would be better than an ER. Yes, it will cost some money, but probably under $200 to get her treated, if you don't go to an ER. If you go to an ER, then you could owe them $10,000 or more, even if they don't treat her, and just look at her to verify that it isn't an ER-type situation.

Possible answer