Married and filling out a new W4... QUESTIONS!?

Answer this question

  • Married and filling out a new W4... QUESTIONS!?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 18:26
Get both paystubs and go to Search on "withholding calculator" and put everything in. The program will guestimate what you will owe and how much you need to have withheld. It appears, you may have enough income to need to use married at single rate--if the withholding at single all year came out about right.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 19:02
This is how this works: If you are single, and concerned about owing at the end of the year you should always claim Single and 0 dependents - this ensures the maximum amount is being withheld from your paychecks. If this still barely gets you a refund at year end, you can opt to have "additional withholding" withheld such as an extra $10 or something of that nature. If you're like myself, and got Married midway through the year then you're probably safe to claim Married and 0 dependents for the remainder, but you need to take a look at your tax situation once you file your return for this year. If you narrowly missed having to owe, then you may want to both, or at least one of you claim "Married and Withhold at a Single Rate", this will then treat you as if you're claiming "Single and 0" like I mentioned above, and will withhold the maximum it can. Or, you don't have to change your statuses at all. Even though you're married, you both can still claim Single 0, all it does is ensure you're getting the most taxes withheld. I recommened NEVER claiming more than 1 dependent under any status..the higher the dependent number, the LESS taxes gets withheld from federal and state.
Answer #3 | 20/12 2013 00:15
You should both claim married but withhold at the higher single rate, with 0 or 1 allowance. If you didn't change your W-4 from single, that's ok too.

Possible answer