Landlord, income, sick child...advice?

Answer this question

  • Landlord, income, sick child...advice?


Answer #1 | 29/12 2013 00:25
Move out, family and all, get somewhere else. Its no use sitting around moaning. Get off your backside and do something about it.
Answer #2 | 29/12 2013 00:51
There are only 2 strains of the over 2000 strains of mold a landlord has to worry about. Unless those ducts are made of untreated wood it is not even possible that one of those strains is present. Both strains only exist in absolute darkness, humidity and exist on untreated wood. Some sort of mold is everywhere, even outside air will test positive. If you have health issues that involve mold they are like any other health issue. The landlord does not get involved, but must allow YOU reasonable accommodation. You pay for your accommodation though, no one else. So, if you need the ducts cleaned then the landlord has to allow you to hire, and pay for, the cleaning. You must not be all that concerned if you refuse to move though. The place can't be that great that it is worth your childs health. I had a child who got sick at 4, I did not just sell my house and move, I moved to an entirely different city, completely changing my life style for my child. I really do not get how you can both "my house has all these problems" and "I will not move". Moving very well may be your only viable solution. You don't like this place, it does not meet your needs, so you go find something that does.
Answer #3 | 29/12 2013 05:21
call the investigative reporter at your local news station and ask them what is the law on this. See if they can intercede for you (these guys are lawyers). I'd think they could help solve the mold problem, but might be able to get you out of your lease, or might be able to tell you how you could pay the court/judge instead of the landlord until the landlord gets all this stuff fixed. How do you know there is mold? Yearly the AC/heat system is supposed to be cleaned for best service during the year. If you're saying you smell mold then a quick cleaning would do the trick. But if you're saying you smell mold immediately when the ac/heat unit starts up then that's normal. Perhaps a spray of Lysol on and around the opening of where the air comes thru would help solve the problem. I use "crisp linen" Lysol which is a decent fragrance. I think Lysol is about $7 a can. what would "I" do? same as I've always done, demand that it be cleaned out (pipes, drain, inside and out) once a year.
Answer #4 | 29/12 2013 09:05
Ultimately you need to decide if the "mold" issue is serious enough to warrant your moving out. One thing that is ruled out is you staying and fighting. That does not seem something that you have the means to do. A lot of times, people imagine that "mold" issues are more serious than they are...they make up the problem in their imagination. WHere is the mold in the house claimed to be? You should have some come in to give a second opinion, try to find someone inexpensive you can consult. THen make up your mind, either you stay or leave. I am not sure what you mean when you say that your monthly rent is $2000 but your monthly income is $1400. That doesn't make any sense. If you have to leave, you need to find a place you can afford, simple as that, and if you can't afford what you want, then maybe get another job to boost your income.
Answer #5 | 29/12 2013 11:01
first check with your states dept of consumer affairs for your tenants rights and be sure you gave the notice of need for repairs leagally some states require a dated certified mail notice the landlord then has a set # of days to look at the repairs and if they say no report it to the health department, to prove it is mold in some states the landlord will have to help you with costs of tempary housing and moving until the problem has been corrected for you to move back in often the landlord might try to settle for less by giving you a notice to vacate but in those cases some states say three months "help" is due do not be short changed

Possible answer