Is there any recourse for a person should they have their license suspended for financial obligation?

Answer this question

  • Is there any recourse for a person should they have their license suspended for financial obligation?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 22:25
No, this is the new American way of creating debtors prisons. The only way out is to pay the fine, interest, penalties and whatever else the corporation pays the court to fine you. I had an accident (with insurance) in 1991. In 2001 they created a law that they applied retroactively to my accident to force me to pay a debt I never knew I had because I had moved out of the state (in 1991). I didn't find out about the revocation until 2008. Because it is court ordered, you can't add it to a bankruptcy claim. I'm still fighting it, without success.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 22:26
Wow 11 years of not having a drivers license should have saved you plenty to pay off your debt. You still owe the money so why would they want to give up the only thing they have to pressure you to pay your debt? I don't see a court taking your side in this since you have had 11 years to pay already. If you wanted to sue you should have done it as soon as they filed if you think they should have had to file in your county not where the accident happened.
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 23:01
check with the DMV in your state. As far as I can tell you need to get insurance for your vehicles, then you can apply for reinstating of your licence (and possibly need to pay fees for that). not sure what the other guy's insurance company has to do with this, not seeing anything relevant in my DMV at least. Does the actual court order say you need to pay for the accident before you can even go to the DMV?
Answer #4 | 20/12 2013 16:42
Pay what you owe, not lawyer fees to try to get out of your obligation. The insurance will probably accept payments so you can get your license back. Be responsible and contact them and see what they will do to help you out of this bad situation. Good Luck
Answer #5 | 20/12 2013 04:20
Yes. You pay off your financial obligation - then you can get your license reinstated. Dodge personal responsibility much? "I was faulted" No. You caused the accident. "Insurance didn't kick in until afterwards". No. You didn't BUY it until after the accident. "license suspended unfairly". NO. This is standard, no matter where you live - when you cause an accident, and don't pay for the damage, in EVERY state, this happens. Showing up at court wouldn't have changed anything - unless you would have paid every cent of the damages. You won't get a job "making the kind of money you need" until you start acting like an adult, and take responsibility for your own decisions and actions. Hiring another lawyer isn't going to solve this problem - this is the real world. Pay what you owe, and then you can move forward.

Possible answer