Is a US Citizen required to have US address to work on 1099 or W-2 as contract worker? Pls advise.?

Answer this question

  • Is a US Citizen required to have US address to work on 1099 or W-2 as contract worker? Pls advise.?


Answer #1 | 22/12 2013 23:13
Yes, if he lives abroad, he can give the foreign address. Note, as a US citizen, he is still subject to the worldwide tax rules. See publications 54 and 514 for forms 2555 and 1116. As for state taxes, it will depend on domicile. Some states will not recognize the move to another country.
Answer #2 | 23/12 2013 05:52
And your domicile state will also want their share of the state income taxes for that tax year RIGHT. So go for it and get it done. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/23/2013
Answer #3 | 23/12 2013 06:27
The person can have any address he or she wants. However, if a person resides or works in a state that has income tax, that state will want income tax regardless of the address of record of the taxpayer. In other words, a person cannot avoid state taxes by having a foreign address.
Answer #4 | 23/12 2013 08:45
as a US citizen your world wide income is reportable, if you do not have an address in the US, you at least need an address that IRS can reach you by mail(as they will with any kind of notices)
Answer #5 | 26/12 2013 14:36
Any address is acceptable (including foreign addresses). State tax filing requirements and liability will be dependent on which state the taxpayer was previously resident of - depending on the state, moving overseas and working as a contractor may not be sufficient in order to qualify as a non-resident of the state. The filing requirements and definition of non-resident will need to be carefully studied to determine what the taxpayer's residency status is as the definition of resident varies from state to state... (and unfortunately some states are more stringent in when non-residency applies).

Possible answer

Login to your account
Create new account