International student - Company require 1099 after receiving several pay checks?

Answer this question

  • International student - Company require 1099 after receiving several pay checks?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 20:56
Your EMPLOYER is an idiot. As an employer he's required to issue you a W-2. If this is an OPT and you are on an F-1 visa (and here less than 5 years), he was not required to withhold fica/mc or pay futa for you. He was required to withhold income tax, but that's money that would have been withheld from your pocket, so you can pay any deficiency when you file. Fill out a W-4 and send it to him. Follow the instructions on the form and notice. You have to write NRA on line 6. The check has to be made out to you, not your relative. If the total you are paid is more than $6100, you will have to file a tax return. Whether you get a 1099-Misc or a W-2, the result is the same, but you list the amounts in different places on the 1040NR.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 20:56
Well, here's the deal. You only need to file an income tax return if you make a certain amount of money. You may not make enough money to need to file a tax return but you may need to be able to prove that you didn't make enough money to have to file a tax return. The company said they are sending you a 1099 form so they can show where the money went that they sent you. That's so they are protected. To protect yourself and not get into trouble with immigration, keep your pay stubs and you should get a 1099 form at the beginning of February. Let the company know if you move. Check with immigration if you have questions. At least keep the pay stubs or make copies of the checks you receive as paychecks. You probably won't have to pay taxes - it depends on how much money you make. If you are honest, you shouldn't have a problem.
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 21:57
You have no options, and neither do they. Once they have paid you $600 in any year, they have to tell the IRS. It's not optional for them, and certainly not for you. A 1099 only shows the year you worked and how much you were paid. It doesn't give the exact dates. I heard once that international students are allowed to work in the summer, just not during the school year. I don't know if that's true. Anyway, if it is, then the 1099 won't actually prove that you broke the law. But, all the same, you should start applying to schools in another country, because you can lose your student visa for working in the U.S.
Answer #4 | 20/12 2013 03:45
If you don't want to risk your status, you fill out the forms and report the income, because not to is tax evasion. YOU fill out the W9 and THEY give you a 1099 after the end of the year. But you should have been a W2 employee anyway.
Answer #5 | 20/12 2013 05:22
And legally allowed to work in the US for this purpose and time in your life. Whether you do get the 1099 form from THEM or you do NOT get the 1099 form from them you would still be required to Use your own good daily written receipt books and records in order to correctly complete your 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season. Self employed independent contractor using your daily written receipt book records to report your gross income on the schedule C or CEZ along with the SE to determine your NET PROFIT or LOSS from your business income during the tax year for this purpose. SE your social security medicare tax amounts that you would OWE on your NET profit amount that would end up the page 1 line 12 from the schedule C and any SE tax owed page 2 line 56 and page 1 line 27 Deductible part of self employment tax attach schedule SE line 27 $$$ amount. Starting, Operating, or Closing a Business Starting a Business Starting a business could be exciting. If you're considering starting a business, start here. This section provides information on everything from a checklist for a new business, to selecting a business structure, and more.,-Operating,-or-Closing-a-Business Online Learning Tools The Small Business Taxes: The Virtual Workshop is composed of nine interactive lessons designed to help new small business owners learn their tax rights and responsibilities. The IRS Video Portal contains video and audio presentations on topics of interest to small businesses, individuals and tax professionals. Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 31-Oct-2013 Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/20/2013

Possible answer