If the heat in my 1999 Grand Am is broken, do I need all this done?

Answer this question

  • If the heat in my 1999 Grand Am is broken, do I need all this done?


Answer #1 | 17/12 2013 11:58
Almost certainly you need all that done, though what you want to hear is "B" because the price tag is lower. Go with that. But since there's never a good reason not to change the oil, tell "B' to change the oil along with that other stuff. You should still come in under $1200.
Answer #2 | 17/12 2013 12:02
To be able to heat properly,or cool for that matter, your cooling system must be leak free and under pressure. You need to have the leak fixed first. Have the mechanic pressure test your radiator to see if there is a gasket or hose leak. Fix the leak, add new antifreeze and maybe a new thermostat and off you go.
Answer #3 | 17/12 2013 12:06
If you want to just fix the leak and the heat, go with Mechanic B. If you want everything fixed go with A
Answer #4 | 18/12 2013 08:45
Mechanic A wants a very merry Christmas for himself. There is no way to diagnose a specific valve without removing the cylinder head and there is no such part as a camstat. If the coolant is leaking into the cylinder(s), you would notice a misfire when driving. Check the oil level and if it is still goldish, clear and full, there is no reason to suspect antifreeze contamination. I would suggest finding a mechanic C and asking him to repair the coolant leak only. Since both A and B quoted a rad hose, I suspect that is the only thing that is needed.

Possible answer

Login to your account
Create new account