I want to get more power out of my 1990 5.0 L Mustang?

Answer this question

  • I want to get more power out of my 1990 5.0 L Mustang?


Answer #1 | 22/12 2013 12:43
The proverbial question beyond, Why do you wish to have more power? is followed by the next proverbial question, How much money do you have? This a 24 year old vehicle with parts all over the vehicle that are 24 years old. Here is how this works most of the time. If this engine is original and has over 250,000 miles, you need a rebuilt or new engine. The new engine can be any size that fits. I could be a Corvette ZR1 LS 5 with over 450 horses. It is a V8 engine with over 400 FT-LB of torque. An adequate transmission and drivetrain is required. New everything is required: electrical, cooling, exhaust, suspension, brakes and whatever else I could be missing. The crated engine delivered to you is about $10,000 and the rest of the equipment shall add significant charges in parts and labor. Want less power? The same process needs to be followed. It makes no sense to spend this kind of money on a 24 year car unless it is in your mind to do so. If you have that kind of money why not buy a car that already has a high power drive train. And yet, I have seen the same question asked by people with cars with 300 HP engine. It seems that no matter what car, engine, power, these cars have, that kids want to up it. Trucks, cars, ext. there appears not to be a specific medium of transport. One guy was shooting for 1,000 HP! Yet. But, the point is that you cannot have high horsepower without a purpose and it the entire vehicle must be in unison as the performance. Once that is all sorted out, the tires come into play. These tires can cost over $400 each. The clutch can wear out in 6,000 miles of hard driving or racing. If you insist only trained technicians in what are called Speed Shops, shops that specialize in modifications for high power/speed can provide you with recommendations and a estimate for the work planned. While the car is being completed. the last link is the driver. Go to "" to see the foolishness of those with money for powerful and fast cars but no sense for driving school and the proper use of discipline. Tragic. Just tragic. No sense as to being properly trained. The car and driver must match. One consequence no being considered at this point is insurance. You must report any and all changes to the auto insurance company and a new quote as to coverage shall be given to you. Kids and high power cars are a recipe for serious disaster. Expect a huge monthly/yearly bill. Kid, we all have dreams. I recommend you reconsider your ideas. If you wish for milder improvements, then, since this is rather tired car, the best would be to bring the car to original specs. You are still looking at a rebuilt engine/transmission plus suspension and exhaust work. I would definitely upgrade to improved brakes. Very improved brakes.
Answer #2 | 22/12 2013 13:16
Roman that was very well I would just do a refab. on the car and be happy with it....if you want more power and speed buy a race car and take it to the track....that way you would have all the protective equipment and you would be a lot more safer that way and not a pile of wrecked parts on the side of the road....
Answer #3 | 22/12 2013 18:35
A CNC porting job on E7's will net you about 40 HP ($800). For $400 more, a guy could getta set of Windsor Jr. 180's (cast iron). About the biggest cam the stock computer will tolerate is the E303 -220/220 .498 lift intake and exhaust (I'd only run this cam in an automatic car with it's 110 degree lobe centers) any other "letter cams" are 5-speed stuff. And one needs to consider those cams were '80s cam tech so shop around.
Answer #4 | 25/12 2013 10:07
Go to American, they are in the process of finishing up a 93 GT convertable, turned it into a Cobra Convertable...over 450 hp. If you have the time any money for that...start there!!!

Possible answer