I just got a job my first one and I was filling out w2-tax forms..There was a group of us there?

Answer this question

  • I just got a job my first one and I was filling out w2-tax forms..There was a group of us there?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 18:05
Most people write $0.00. You'll end up getting the money back when you file your taxes, so ultimately it doesn't matter, but that will be $10 per pay that you don't get to spend right away, because the government will be keeping it "safe" for you. The only good reason to have extra money withheld is if you expect to owe money when your taxes are due. Taking a little out per pay is often less painful than just getting hit with a big tax bill when you file.
Positive: 100 %
Answer #2 | 20/12 2013 09:09
on a W-4 the only reason you indicate you want a specific amount f money withheld is if you want more withheld than your gross and status require you may be referring to a state withholding statement and for that you need to know what is actually not taxable to you(ie. your standard deduction for your state) you might want to go to and find the W-4 calculator which will explain how to complete that form the state web site may also have a similar instruction for you you don't fill out a W-2(your employer does)
Positive: 50 %
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 18:15
You weren't filling out a W-2. The employer does that. You were filling out a W-4. As for the form, there's a worksheet on the official one and it appears you either didn't see it or didn't understnad it. 1. The purpose of the form is to withhold enough to pay your tax bill. No more, no less. This is NOT a savings plan and should not be used for one. 2. You don't give any clues as to your age, your filing status, your other income for 2013...just that you are making $10.50 an hour and if this was full time, the equivalent of $21,914 a year. If you are a dependent and this is your first job ever, you could put exempt for right now on the form because there isn't time to exceed $6100 before 12/31. If you still worked there in January, then we'd suggest single/1 or 0 if you were a dependent (say under 24 and in school) or single/2 or single/1 if you were not a dependent. The $X per week is for people who have other forms of income and have figured out that they want to fine tune the results.
Answer #4 | 19/12 2013 18:09
You don't have to have them take out anything in excess of normal tax withholding. It just means you won't be able to use that money until you get your tax refund.
Positive: 0 %
Answer #5 | 19/12 2013 19:04
You were filling out a W4 form: It works like this: If you are single, and concerned about owing at the end of the year you should always claim Single and 0 dependents - this ensures the maximum amount is being withheld from your paychecks. If this still barely gets you a refund at year end, you can opt to have "additional withholding" withheld such as an extra $10 or something of that nature. If you're like myself, and got Married midway through the year then you're probably safe to claim Married and 0 dependents for the remainder, but you need to take a look at your tax situation once you file your return for this year. If you narrowly missed having to owe, then you may want to both, or at least one of you claim "Married and Withhold at a Single Rate", this will then treat you as if you're claiming "Single and 0" like I mentioned above, and will withhold the maximum it can. Or, you don't have to change your statuses at all. Even though you're married, you both can still claim Single 0, all it does is ensure you're getting the most taxes withheld. I recommened NEVER claiming more than 1 dependent under any status..the higher the dependent number, the LESS taxes gets withheld from federal and state.
Answer #6 | 19/12 2013 19:48
W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate When you do you fail to have enough FIT amount withheld out of your GROSS wages earning out of each pay period to cover your FIT liability during the next FIT tax filing season and you could end up Owing and amount of FIT liability that you would have to send in at that time during the tax filing season for that purpose along with your 1040V and the 1040 income tax return. Go to the website and use the search box for the W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate Very simple and easy fill in the W-4 correctly and completely and just claim Single and -0- ZERO Allowances sign the completed W-4 form make a copy for your records and give the other signed copy to your employer for the 2013 Tax year federal income tax withholding amounts out of your gross wages earnings amount if ANY amount is required for your FIT for this purpose. And then if they should withhold any amount of $$ out for the FIT amount as an estimated advance payment of any possible income tax liability that you might have when you correctly complete your 1040 income tax return during the next income tax filing season and you receive your W-2 form from your employer around the middle of January for the past tax year and if you have a $$ amount in the Box 2 for FIT you will get a credit for that $$ amount on your 1040 income tax return and might qualify to get some are all of the withheld amount back as a REFUND amount when you correctly complete your 1040 income tax return print a copy for your records and sign the copy to send to the correct IRS address for processing. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/19/2013
Positive: 0 %
Answer #7 | 19/12 2013 20:48
It doesn't ask how much you want taken out of your paycheck. It asks what is the additional amount, in other words, how much more than the regular amount. Also, it's asking per paycheck, not per hour. If you're only getting one paycheck anyway, then it doesn't really matter that much.

Possible answer