how to get money from co tenant who skipped out on her lease?

Answer this question

  • how to get money from co tenant who skipped out on her lease?


Answer #1 | 26/12 2013 12:19
Small claims court
Answer #2 | 26/12 2013 12:31
there is only one legal way and Rebecca listed it
Answer #3 | 26/12 2013 13:01
You can take her to small claims court. Understand that the judge will only award you 2-3 months rent. Your expected to mitigate your damages by getting a new roommate.
Answer #4 | 26/12 2013 13:04
The legal route only.
Answer #5 | 26/12 2013 14:19
ok so you're saying both your names were on the lease and for some reason she felt was a good reason she skipped (probably skipped to try to get a lease somewhere else in connection with a job so she would cement things in before her credit is ruined). Your situation is that since there are 2 of you on the lease the landlord doesn't care if 2 pay or if just one pays but just that they want the rent. so either you pay all of the rent (like get a second job), or you find someone to live out her part of the lease (but the landlord would have to take an application plus fee, and approve someone before you can have them come live with you). If on the other hand you both moved out then the landlord would go after both of you, and they'd want all of it from both of you or they would ruin your credit. So what you'd have to do to still have good credit would be to pay your and her share, and then sue your roommate in small claims corut for what she owes you. That's how co-tenant leases work. that's why people live alone.
Answer #6 | 26/12 2013 13:15
Civil court But winning a judgement is one thing If she does not have nothing to pay it you wont get a dime

Possible answer