How do I find out if someone is using my social security number (ssn) for work?

Answer this question

  • How do I find out if someone is using my social security number (ssn) for work?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 20:15
You could request a copy of your income transcript from the IRS in June of each year. Then see if there are any W-2s on there that aren't yours....
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 20:38
You don't. They are millions of employers where the person could be using it. You can't check with them all. After the end of this year, you file your taxes. If you get back a letter from the IRS saying that more money was earned using your social security number than what you earned, then someone else used it this year. But, by then it's next year, and you still won't know if they're using it next year. If the IRS says the amount earned this year with your social security number is what you think it should be, that's good, but they won't tell you that until next year, and you still won't if someone is using it then. You'll just know if they were using it this year. There's no real time system to see if it "is" being used. All you can do is to check each year whether it "was" (past tense) used before that year.
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 20:38
Once a year, the Social Security Administration sends out earnings records. Included is an estimate of what that person's eventual retirement benefits may be. When you get that letter, review it. You will be able to see if more income than you actually made has been recorded by Social Security.
Answer #4 | 20/12 2013 05:34
Some time after the middle of the tax year the SSA does receive the W-2 information from the employers to record the earning information into the earning records of each employee for the past tax year. After that time your MIGHT be able to go to the local SSA office in your area and ask to see what information that the SSA might have available at that time for the past tax years about any possible earnings amount that might have been credited to your account for that past tax year OK Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/20/2013
Answer #5 | 20/12 2013 08:49
normally you can't directly but this will become evident if someone files a tax return using your SSN you could apply for a tax transcript on form 4506 T which will list the employers who have reported income in your SSN

Possible answer