Hard plastic ring in engine that secures the oil...?

Answer this question

  • Hard plastic ring in engine that secures the oil...?


Answer #1 | 02/01 2014 12:18
On the suspension? Are you sure they didn't mean the crush washer on the sump plug?
Answer #2 | 02/01 2014 12:56
Either you have misunderstood the issue of this person is a crooked mechanic or inspector. Run. Run away to other MOT inspection. The suspension has nothing to do with service as to oil either to add or to drain. RUN AWAY. Do not approve any repairs by this person. He must think you are so naive to buy this story. DRIVE AWAY.
Answer #3 | 02/01 2014 12:44
NOT on the suspension!? Then why on Earth do they need to remove the suspension to change some form of 'o' ring!?!? I hate going to new garages for this reason. It does sound dodgy to me BUT what is written on the fail sheet. It might help us out a bit in trying to give you an answer.
Answer #4 | 02/01 2014 12:24
sounds like you need a 710 cap
Answer #5 | 02/01 2014 13:57
Could be the drive shaft seal.This would mean dismantling suspension to remove drive shaft for fitment of new seal.
Answer #6 | 02/01 2014 16:08
First reading sounded like oil pan drain plug seal.. At end sounded like oil seal for suspension leg hydraulics. Best to be able to trust a garage. I never have any work carried out where I have a road test done. Ideally using testing station only. Name of part more helpful as would what us written on test fail report.
Answer #7 | 02/01 2014 14:44
I think Gordon is on the right track. On one of my sons cars the outer constant velocity joints on the drive shafts had hard plastic clips securing the gaiters / boots. When the one of the gaiters split and leaked out the grease, the replacement, fitted at a garage, had what looked like "glorified cable ties" to secure it, and partial dismantling of suspension parts was necessary to do it.
Answer #8 | 04/01 2014 04:58
Is it the helicoil? I don't see why suspension should be removed, but take it to a second garage for opinion if you still have valid MOT.
Answer #9 | 03/01 2014 01:40
I agree with Gordon and Electric Les, without any useful other information to the contrary it sounds like either a drive shaft seal or the rubber gaiter covering the constant velocity joint is "missing or excessively damaged, deteriorated or insecure to the extent that it would no longer prevent the ingress of dirt etc." in MoT-speak. That's a fail, and requires some dismantling to repair/replace. You could, of course, ask the tester exactly what he is referring to.

Possible answer