Give me your opinion about English grammar as follows:?

Answer this question

  • Give me your opinion about English grammar as follows:?


Answer #1 | 23/12 2013 20:17
Grammatically incorrect. Since family is a singular noun, the verb must be singular. That is my house, where my family lives. No, it doesn't sound quite natural. It would sound more natural to say: That's my house, where I live with my family. Or simply: That's my house.
Answer #2 | 23/12 2013 20:17
Is this grammatically inccorect? Yes. It's "where my family LIVES" (and it's spelled "incorrect") Also it's unnecessary to explain that your family lives in your house.
Answer #3 | 23/12 2013 20:33
yes obviously incorrect in any context.
Answer #4 | 23/12 2013 20:54
Mark covered it quite nicely. I'm from England and we tend to treat collective nouns as a plural ('family' isn't a plural in itself, but it's made up of a number of people, so we treat it as a plural in England.) I'd say "That's my house, where my family live." without thinking twice about it.
Answer #5 | 25/12 2013 01:18
Change live to lives. If you wish to say that your family lives in your house you may. The fact that it is your house does not mean that you or your family live in it. Lots of people own property that are empty or rented to non family.
Answer #6 | 23/12 2013 20:59
Grammatically correct, but a little formal for everyday speech. "That's my house, where my family live" would be more natural. As you're asking on the UK Yahoo! Answers, note that "where my family live" is perfectly correct in British English. In American English, the convention is for collective nouns (such as "family") to be singular ("where my family lives"). But in British English, they can be singular or plural, depending on context (so "where my family live" is fine) - but plural is probably more usual. See the Wikipedia article Comparison of American and British English / Formal and notional agreement If you don't trust Wikipedia regarding the difference, check out the Oxford Dictionaries Blog article "A quest for agreement over collective nouns" =quote= In British English it’s absolutely fine to treat most collective nouns as either singular or plural – you can say "my husband’s family is very religious" or" my husband’s family are very religious". ... American English takes a slightly different approach to the agreement of verbs with collective nouns. There is a very strong preference for the use of singular verbs with such nouns =unquote=

Possible answer

Login to your account
Create new account