Do you give ang pow during chinese new year?

Answer this question

  • Do you give ang pow during chinese new year?


Answer #1 | 20/12 2013 08:37
Yes, since I'm married I will have to give ang pow (red packet envelope usually contain money) to my parents, those younger than me and unmarried and of course those nieces, nephews and even the neighbors children. Those children that come with their parents to visit your parents and you were there too, will have to give ang pow to them. The Chinese replaces presents like toys, gift cards etc with ang pow. The denomination/value of money in ang pow varies from how close you are to the giver. Like parents may get more, those unmarried adults in your family may get a little less and the neighbor kids and friends kids will even get less. Usually the minimum is $2.00 *
Positive: 100 %
Answer #2 | 20/12 2013 08:15
Yes. The elderly and the adults who got married will give the younger generation Ang Pow (red packet). It can be given to relatives /friend's child /neighbour's child etc. The money inside will usually be in even number, like $4, $10. The kids received ang pow from the married couple, the parents of the kids usually will also give the married couple ang pow for their kids as well. Sometimes one party will bring 2 or 4 oranges (It is consider like good luck) to exchange with another party the same amount of oranges when they visit one's house during Chinese New year. Chinese New Year is 15 days, with the first 3 days as the main days for celebration. The other days we will also visit relatives' houses.

Possible answer