Do minors collect income tax?

Answer this question

  • Do minors collect income tax?


Answer #1 | 05/01 2014 16:17
Yes, minors are subject to all of the same tax laws as adults (with a few exceptions that don't apply to your question). Also: 1) You fill out a W-4. Your employer fills out a W-2 and gives it to you. You don't fill out a W-2 yourself. 2) A "tax return" is a form that you fill out and send to the government. The money that you receive is a "tax refund".
Answer #2 | 05/01 2014 14:14
If you had any federal income tax withheld, you would be able to get it back. You do not collect tax, you PAY tax. You get a REFUND of any overpayment.
Answer #3 | 05/01 2014 13:45
Since you filled out a W-2 there should be a tax return on your money. However depending how old you are and and if you live with parents, they could claim you as a dependent since you are under 18. You yourself should not have to file a tax return because you earned less then 5,800 in the year according to 2012 standards. HOWEVER, there is another rule If you earned over 950 in unearned income (interest or dividend income for example) you must file Your parents should be able to file for you.
Answer #4 | 05/01 2014 13:31
If you had tax deducted, and you should have, you will get that tax back if this was your earnings for the year.
Answer #5 | 05/01 2014 14:19
Uh, you seriously misunderstand what a refund is. It's not some kind of bonus you get for working, Income tax isn't something you collect, it's something you pay. Since you made only $700, you don't owe any federal income tax. If you had made a lot more, you might OWE tax, and have to pay it. If they withheld anything for federal income tax, you'd get that money refunded since you ended up not owing it. You don't get back what was taken for social security or medicare.
Answer #6 | 05/01 2014 14:30
you don't fill out a W-2, you filled out a W-4 form. a W-2 is what your employer gives you at the end of the year that shows how much you made and what taxes were taken out of your pay. you don't receive a tax return. that is what you fill out and send to the IRS and the state. you didn't make enough to have a filing requirement. unless taxes were taken out of your check, you don't need to file a return. you pay taxes according to how much you made, your age is immaterial.
Answer #7 | 05/01 2014 18:59
IRS collects income tax. People with sufficient income pay income tax. Age is irrelevant.
Answer #8 | 05/01 2014 17:55
if you had income tax withheld that you don't owe, of course you file a tax return to get it refunded
Answer #9 | 05/01 2014 17:20
And you did fill out a W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate at that time in your life. And now if your employer does have your CORRECT mailing address they should be mailing out to you a W-2 form for the 2013 tax year and the Box 1 will have your Gross wages earning for the 2013 tax year and the Box 2 will have the FIT $ amount in that Box to be used as a TAX CREDIT on the CORRECT line of your 2013 1040 FIT and when that amount is more than your FIT liability is at that time then you MIGHT BE able to QUALIFY for a REFUND of some are all of the FIT a,mount that MIGHT have withheld for each pay period during the 2013 tax year. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 01/05/2014

Possible answer

Login to your account
Create new account