can my mom claim me as a dependent on her taxes?

Answer this question

  • can my mom claim me as a dependent on her taxes?


Answer #1 | 17/12 2013 01:31
Get IRS publication 501 and fill out the support test worksheet with your mother. The IRS considers you to be temporarily away from your mother's home, so you will count both the rent on the apartment AND your share of living in her home. Loans you will be paying back count as support you paid for yourself. Scholarships don't help you. If you did NOT support yourself, mom claims you. If you supported yourself, she does not. However, if you supported yourself and your wages were less than half of your total support, you will not be eligible for the refundable part of the AOC (if you are an undergraduate student).
Answer #2 | 17/12 2013 06:43
And my guess would YES that she can still claim you as her QC dependent on her 1040 income tax return during the 2014 tax filing season for the 2013 tax year. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/17/2013
Answer #3 | 17/12 2013 07:46
Yes, school expenses count for your support. A grant wouldn't count as support you provide for yourself. A loan in just your name would.
Answer #4 | 17/12 2013 09:02
support consists of rent, utilities, home phone, food, clothing, medical, entertainment and transportation(not the car payment, not the car insurance, not the gas, and not the cell phone bill) school costs are not support if you get financial aid, any of that money you use for anything other than education expenses is income to you if you have a student loan there is not distinction, it is a loan and you will repay it no matter how you use it
Answer #5 | 17/12 2013 09:48
If you can show you provide over half your own support, then no she cannot. For a student, time at school is considered time lived at home (temporary absence). Financial aid you have to repay (loans) are support you are providing yourself.

Possible answer