Are holly berries poisonous to squirrels?

Answer this question

  • Are holly berries poisonous to squirrels?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 17:28
The berries of various species contain Theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine. In very small doses, theobromine and other caffeines only mildly stimulate the nervous system. However larger amounts can cause dizziness, stomach pain, nausea, diarrhoea, elevated pulse rate, and low blood pressure, as well as drowsiness.[21] In winter, the bright red berries attract birds, who eat them after the frosts have reduced their toxicity. However, if household pets ingest holly, they are very likely to be poisoned, and it is a good idea to keep holly decorations out of reach of pets and children.[22] After a frost the squirrels are probably ok too.
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 19:06
If you are referring to true hollies (Ilex) No they are not dangerous to squirrels... or birds... or deer... or rabbits... I've tasted them out of curiosity and had no ill effects. I did learn that no crature that consumes them does so because they are tasty.... BLECH!
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 21:26
The American Holly is an awesome plant. I grew up in West Virginia and it grows wild in the woods there. It is a very important native tree. Many species rely on it for food and shelter. I love it in the woods, but I am not crazy about having one in the yard. OUCH! Here is a link with some info:
Answer #4 | 21/12 2013 09:15
Don't you think the squirrel knows?

Possible answer