If an employee receives an erroneous W-2, what can the employee do?

Answer this question

  • If an employee receives an erroneous W-2, what can the employee do?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 19:15
The employer must issue a corrected W-2. Do not file it if the wages are higher than what you actually made, this may cause you to owe a large amount to the IRS for no reason. Get the new W-2. Call an accountant, they will be able to help you pursue the issue further.
Positive: 21 %
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 19:39
The employer would be required to issue out a W-2C to correct any error that may been been made on your original filled out and filed W-2 form for that tax year and purpose. BUT you really do need to fill out and file your return using the information that you do now have in your hand from this W-2 form if this is for a past tax year 1040 FIT return. Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/19/2013
Positive: 15 %
Answer #3 | 20/12 2013 05:18
Get employer to issue a corrected W2. IF employer refuses, inform them your next step is calling the IRS after 2/15.
Positive: 10 %
Answer #4 | 20/12 2013 08:58
he has to work this out with the employer who is the only one that can change the W-2
Positive: 10 %

Possible answer

Recent Developments in employee Benefits It was 1997. I was a recent college graduate with a ... of the plan vary for different employee groups, ...
Read more
Positive: 21 %
WORKER CLASSIFICATION: EMPLOYEE VERSUS INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR Robert M. McCallum LeSourd & Patten, P.S. Seattle, Washington Robert M. McCallum is with the ...
Read more
Positive: 16 %
1. Why Must Correct Erroneous Reports? The only parties who can use this website are "nonresidents" but not "aliens" or "taxpayers", who are not engaged in ...
Read more
Positive: 2 %
Learn what to do if your W-2 is wrong ... a corrected W-2 to the employee rather than ... an incorrect W-2. You can report what you think ...
Read more
Positive: 10 %

Show more results