How Do I Know If I'm Working Under a W2 or 1099?

Answer this question

  • How Do I Know If I'm Working Under a W2 or 1099?


Answer #1 | 19/12 2013 00:34
In addition to what NA said. You realize that if you did not report the income that is tax evasion and a federal crime.
Positive: 46 %
Answer #2 | 19/12 2013 01:36
You will know at the end of January when they send out your record of wages for tax purposes. If you are being paid cash, you probably won't get anything, meaning you are not contributing to SS retirement or Medicare or having any taxes taken out. If you get a statement with your pay, and it shows a contribution to taxes, Medicare and SS, then you are a W2 wage earner. If it shows you got paid the full wage with no deductions, then you are a 1099 contractor and you must pay taxes, Medicare and SS out of your own earnings.
Positive: 40 %
Answer #3 | 19/12 2013 05:03
You are an employee. Your employer has not excuse for treating you any differently and should "gross up" your earnings that were reported ont he 1099 and pay the appropriate employment taxes.
Positive: 20 %
Answer #4 | 19/12 2013 08:29
He is certainly not doing things legally, and wasn't when he had you "on 1099". Expect a mess at tax time. Keep very good records of the money you get and what is "withheld".
Positive: 10 %
Answer #5 | 19/12 2013 08:40
I don't understand when you say the taxes are put in a blank envelope but you are still getting paid cash are you saying the amount of taxes that would apply to what you are paid is being given to you separately in a blank envelope? you are so right, he is not to be trusted he very likely will NOT issue you a W-2 and since you have never submitted any form with your SSN on it probably not even a 1099 but you will have to report this income on sch C and very likely Sch SE as well, you will pay your own self employment tax which if he is giving you this in a separate envelope he is at least giving you your portion(not his) you can go to and get the form SS8, complete it, submit to IRS for their determination on your status
Positive: 10 %

Possible answer

Now i have a chance to work at another company as a 1099 ... Does a Lawyer qualify for a TN Visa under NAFTA? How do I know if my ... I'm educated and ...
Read more
Positive: 46 %
I'm working as a subcontractor I get pay $10.00 per hour. ... I get the 1099 form at the end of the year. There... Skip to main content ...
Read more
Positive: 41 %
I'm not working now. Why do I still have to pay the same amount of ... Under federal law, the Bureau of ... I owe back child support and I know my taxes ...
Read more
Positive: 27 %
Home / FAQ / Eligibility Criteria & Benefits. How do I know if my child qualifies? ... What if I'm not legally living in the United States, ...
Read more
Positive: 4 %

Show more results